My dream is to help small businesses and organizations create learning solutions so effective and efficient that on-the-job learning becomes second nature to employees. My goal is to be a one-stop-shop for training: everything you need from needs analysis to development to evaluation. Let me help you build a learning environment.
As an instructional designer, I take pride in developing effective and engaging training to improve employee performance and morale. As a Government contractor, I have experience developing front-end analyses, instructor-led and computer-based training, and performing evaluations. As a resource teacher, I provided curriculum and program training to staff members, administrators, and outside organizations.
my take on instructional design
- Learning needs to be authentic to promote transfer. The closer you can get the training environment to someone's job, the easier it will be for them to implement their newly learned behavior to their daily work.
- Learning needs to be engaging. People learn more effectively when they're actively engaged with the content.
- Learning solutions need to be needs-based and that doesn't necessarily always involve training. A thorough front end analysis is key. Let me help you figure out what your organization needs. It could be a training session, or it could be a job aide, a collaborative working group, clearer business processes, better feedback from management - there's lots of solutions that may be a better fit for your needs.
- Use science to inform your instruction. I believe in using all resources available to inform instructional approaches to help humans learn more efficiently.
- Less is more. I have minimalist tendencies when it comes to design. I believe if you've hired the right people, you just need to give them the tools to succeed and let them take off. I believe in highly targeted micro-lessons to help employees access just-in-time on-the-job training.
Graduate Certificate in Online Instructional Development, Florida State University
Master's Degree in Education, Shenandoah University
Active Teacher's License (Virginia)
BA Political Science & International Relations (Specialization in Security & Diplomacy) University of West Florida
Education and Learning Theory - 6 years
ADDIE Process - 1+ year
Blackboard - 5 years
Authoring tools (Captivate & Articulate) - 1+ year
Audio editing (Audacity, Audition) - 1+ year